HOWARD SCHRAGIN is a seasoned labor and employment attorney who handles a wide range of labor and employment matters on behalf of employees and employers, including employment discrimination, harassment, retaliation, single plaintiff, class and collective wage and hour claims (overtime and unpaid compensation), wage and hour compliance, disability and other leave-related issues, wrongful termination, contract disputes, restrictive covenants and employee benefits. Mr. Schragin’s extensive experience representing individuals and management gives him a unique perspective in employment disputes which helps to obtain the best results for his clients. Mr. Schragin is equally adept at resolving complicated and sensitive employment disputes through negotiation and mediation and vigorously representing his clients in litigation and administrative proceedings.
Prior to founding Sapir Schragin LLP, Mr. Schragin worked as a Senior Attorney with one of the nation’s preeminent labor and employment law firms where he worked closely with Donald Sapir. Prior to that, Mr. Schragin worked for a number of other prominent labor and employment law firms, where he counseled and advised clients across a multitude of industries on a variety of workplace, and represented clients in all phases of employment related litigation in federal and state courts and before administrative agencies. He also served as an Assistant Corporation Counsel for the New York City Law Department where he litigated employment and civil rights actions brought in federal and state courts against the City of New York, its agencies and employees.
Mr. Schragin is a member of the New York State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section, Wage and Hour Committee and a contributor the NYSBA LEL blog. He has written and spoken for various organizations on a range of employment law topics, including the Family and Medical Leave Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, separation agreements and restrictive covenants, employment hiring practices, genetic discrimination, pre-employment drug, medical and psychological testing, electronic and digital media in the workplace and human resources best practices. Mr. Schragin was also a frequent contributor to the New York Employment Newsletter. Mr. Schragin's publications also include U.S. Shoe Corp. v. United States: A Victory for U.S.-Canada Maritime Trade, 19 Fordham Int. L. J. 1764 (1996), and he was also a contributor to the Year in Review, Labor and Employment Developments Around the World, American Bar Association, 2005
- New York, 1998
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- Fordham University School of Law, New York, New York
- J.D. - 1997
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
- B.S. - 1992
- Donnelly v. Greenburgh Cent. Sch. Dist. No. 7, 691 F 3d 134, 2012, 2d Cir.
- Novick v. AXA Network, LLC, 642 F 3d 304, 2011, 2d Cir.
- Lipton v. New York Univ. College of Dentistry, 11 Civ. 2535 (TPG), 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 82138, 2012, S.D.N.Y.
- Lipton v. N.Y. Univ. College of Dentistry, 11 Civ. 2535 (TPG), 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 36151 , 2012, S.D.N.Y.
- Malinowski v. Wall St. Source, Inc., 09 Civ. 9592 (PAE), 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 11575, 2012, S.D.N.Y.
- Malinowski v. Wall St. Source, Inc., 09 Civ. 9592 (PAE) 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 139059, 2011, S.D.N.Y.
- Morrissey v. Verizon Communs., Inc., 10 Civ. 6115 (PPG), 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 73202, 2011, S.D.N.Y.
- Novick v. AXA Network, LLC, 07 Civ. 7767 (AKH), 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 76786, 2009, S.D.N.Y.
- Dauber v. Schwartz, 99 Civ. 3931 (LMM), 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 60501, 2009, S.D.N.Y.
- Chennette v. Kenneth Cole Prods., 05 Civ. 4849 (DLC), 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 69634, 2008, S.D. N.Y.
- Chennette v. Kenneth Cole Prods., 05 Civ. 4849 (DLC), 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 59169, 2008, S.D.N.Y.
- Ingram v. Brink's, Inc., Civil Action No. 02-11333-RFK, 2004 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 29065, 2004, D.Mass.
- Dauber v. Bd. of Educ., 99 Civ. 3931 (LMM), 2001 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 16768, 2001, S.D.N.Y.
- Cobian v. New York City, 99 Civ. 10533 (KMW)(AJP), 2000 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 17479, 2000, S.D.N.Y.
- Muse v. New York City Dep't of Hous. Preservation & Dev., Case No. 96-CV-6221 (FB)(ASC), 2000 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 12207, 2000, E.D.N.Y.
- Hogarth v. New York City Health & Hosps. Corp, 97 Civ. 0625 (DAB), 2000 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 4590, 2000, S.D.N.Y.
- Papeskov v. Brown, 97 Civ. 5351 (SS), 1998 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 8355, 1998, S.D.N.Y.
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP v. Fashion Boutique of Short Hills, Inc., 45 A.D. 3d 485, 1st Dep't 2007
- Damino v. Stern, 276 A.D. 2d 581, 2000, 2d Dept.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association, Member, Labor and Employment Law Section, Wage and Hour Committee
- New York City Bar Association
- Westchester County Bar Association
- White Plains Bar Association
- National Employment Law Association
- Autism Legal Foundation, Member, Board of Directors
- Children's PressLine, Member, Board of Directors, 2007 to 2009